Civilwarguns Forums
You are not logged in. Please Register or Login.

Announcements
All New Users must register and then send an email with username to

and request that your account needs to be approved. There has been way too much spam on the forum.

Note: All emails not related to technical issues will be ignored.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 9:28:40 pm
R. Knack

Does anyone know where I can find some good, detailed information on the Confederate Williams rapid-fire breechloading cannon? I would like to attempt to build one, but thus far I have not found sufficient information (especially diagrams and drawings of the mechanism) for me to do so. I'd probably build it as a functional scale model before attempting a full-sized gun.
\\\"Enlighten a liberal: shine a flashlight under his rock!\\\"

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 6:52:17 pm
Greg Edington

Hello,

Building a Williams gun is a complicated task, and will take roughly 10 man weeks worth of time (400 hours) or one year of half day weekends for a competent machinist.  The below website should give you the information you need before starting this task.

www.floridareenactorsonline.com/williamsconstruction.htm

Approach building any piece of artillery with caution.  I hope the info helps.

Best Regards:

Greg Edington(C)
"no amount of scientific knowledge will make a rifleman without practice."

Henry Wilkinson 1852 from "Observations (Theoretical And Practical) On Muskets, Rifles And Projectiles"

Posted: May 14, 2008 2:55:12 am
R. Knack

I emailed the curator at Watervliet. He's sending me a CD, plus drawings and photos, hopefully with all the info I need. I'll likely build a scale model first, just to make sure it works (be an interesting conversation piece, when the full sized one would make the livingroom a LITTLE too crowded(noteeth)...
\\\"Enlighten a liberal: shine a flashlight under his rock!\\\"

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 8:40:01 pm
klw

I've seen a replica of this at a Shot Show a couple of years ago.  I've looked but could not find the flyer.  Think that the fellow was sharing a both with Old Western Scrounger.