Civilwarguns Forums
You are not logged in. Please Register or Login.

Announcements
All New Users must register and then send an email with username to

and request that your account needs to be approved. There has been way too much spam on the forum.

Note: All emails not related to technical issues will be ignored.

Posted: Jun 07, 2007 3:39:26 am
Greg Edington

Hello All,

I have rcently made some changes to my newer bullet moulds based people who have used my bullet designs in the past.  I am happy to annouce that starting in the next few weeks you all will be seeing a great new Wilkinson bullet mould.  The new mould will be sold by  John DeWald at North East Trade Co. ph# 1-570-546-2061 and Tom Penney at Southwest Sutler Phone# 1-361-853-3250. 

The new mould is not a new bullet design, but instead a new design of mould based off user comments.  Wilkinson bullets have a great following but a major comment from many people was why don't you make them in steel?  I have to say that I tried several times since 1999 to get Wilkinson moulds made in steel, but after several rejections, and one expensive failure it seemed like a lost cause. 

Iron/Steel poses several hazards for the production of Wilkinson type bullets.  The extra torque associated with Iron/Steel can cause cheeries for Wilkinson moulds to snap at the waist if the cutting speed is too fast.  Lathe bored moulds run into tooling clearance problems which limit the expansion of a Wilkinson bullet and effect its balance. CNC machined cavities in Iron/Steel likewise run into geometry vibration problems that (i.e. the cutting tool developes a harmonic vibration) which destroys cavity finish and the ability to make multi-cavities identical in a Wilkinson mould. 

I think Aluminum and Brass were easier to machine but had their own set of problems.  Brass was like a giant heat sink,  it was heavy you had to cast hot to get good bullets, hurting production.  Aluminum 6063 alloy is a good mould material, but its softness and extra care needed are drawbacks.  People who used my mould designs told me as mouch over the years so I sought a mould manufacturer who could make a steel Wilkinson mould.

I am proud to say that with help from John DeWald that steel Wilkinson moulds are a reality now. The Wilkinson Improved Picket Mk III double cavity mould is now being made in US in high grade carbon manganese steel alloy.  The moulds production process even with a qualified contractor was no cake walk the initial proction run had a scrap/rejection rate in excess of 20% before manuafacturing issues were solved. 

The new Wilkinson's mould's 1217 steel alloy is very durable and strong.  The large blocks are fire blued with air relief grooves for good production.  The bullets finish is improved wih a strong steel dowel pin and beveled mortise locking sytem for superior alignment.  The mould's steel sprue plate is of heavy construction, and is very sturdy.  The new mould is also desgned to accept Lee Precision, and RCBS mould handles.  I know this is a major design change over mould my prevoius blocks, with many of my moulds having some but not all of these features.

58 Caliber Wilkinson Improved Picket Bullet

The moulds big design advantages are of durability, strength, construction, and production over the earlier design in 6063 Aluminum.  I hate to say it but I got more than one of the earlier aluminum mould back for warranty work after it was frosted or melted by a propane torch, those day are past (unless you use a oxy-acetylene cuttting torch to pre-heat. LOL )  The bullet is good to having been used by Ed Schneeman to win a gold and silver medal in the World muzzle loading Championships. :)

I hope the change in mould material/design change goes over well.  The new steel mould design is a pilot run, an was being designd produced in tandem with the aluminum Wilkinson designs.  I try to give people what they want in a design, but sometimes what people say they like isn't what they really want i.e. the Edsel, but often you get a Mustang.

Best Wishes:

Greg Edington  (C)
"no amount of scientific knowledge will make a rifleman without practice."

Henry Wilkinson 1852 from "Observations (Theoretical And Practical) On Muskets, Rifles And Projectiles"

Posted: Jun 09, 2007 11:22:45 pm
klw

Just got mine.  Certainly look very nice.  Who made these moulds?

Posted: Jun 11, 2007 4:09:45 pm
Greg Edington

Ken,

Certainly not Lee Precision Inc.  I had the moulds made by job type mschine shop, and had purchase several dozen for a run.  Ken, I'd rather not give out the source right now until I've done more work with the vendor.

Best Wishes:

Greg Edington

Henry Wilkinson 1852 from "Observations (Theoretical And Practical) On Muskets, Rifles And Projectiles"

Posted: Jun 12, 2007 4:51:41 am
klw

The entire thing is very nicely done.  The workmanship on the cut-off plate is very good.  Nice thick cut-off plates, I think, help eliminate wear around the pivot pin.  Do wish that I had been able to talk you into a replaceable washer there if for no other reason to see how well that idea would have worked.  Given the quality construction, however, it would probably have been a solution to a non-existant problem.

Any chance of a true gang mould, four or more cavities?

Posted: Jun 12, 2007 10:47:23 pm
stuart 61

Question on the new mold for anyone who has tried it...
How does this mk III bullet work in a slow twist progressive depth barrel like a whitacre in .577?
Currently the best bullet for up to 100 yds in my musket has been the RCBS hodgden sized to .576 over 42 grains of 3fg goex.I have been practicing for the NMlRA territorials and I am looking to maximize my accuracy.My 61 springfield armisport has been extensively tuned,bedded ,rebarreled ,relocked.I even turned the ramrod to fit my current favorite projectile.It will now group off the bench into a 3.5 to 4'''' group on a calm day.
It has become a real favorite of mine and fun to shoot.
  Last year I tried some commercially cast Wilkinsons but shot them up at 50 yds when I should have tried them at 100.They seemed quite promising.I was really surprised that they seemed to true up square with the bore without the long bearing surface like the rapine and the hodgden.
  Can this bullet be sucessfully resized to .576 ?
(Maybe I stick with what I have and spend my time practicing instead). The furthest one shoots at the Territorial matches are out to 100 yds offhand and any ''military position''.Frankly I have been at this only two years ; competitions and advise are somewhat scarce around here.

Posted: Jun 17, 2007 3:40:43 am
Greg Edington

Stuart,

The Wilkinson Improved Picket Mk III bullet works excellently in Whitacre 1-72" RH twist barrels with progressive depth rifling.  Stuart, such a barrel was used in the 2006 world championships to win a gold medal. 

Stuart, typically the 0.580 Wilkinson Improved Picket Mk III bullet can be sized down to 0.570" with a ram type izer used on a reloading press.  Lubrisizers can be used also as long as the lube is soft (MCM works to about 37 degrees F), but dip lubing is recommended forharder lubes or cold weather.

The Wilkinson Improved Picket Mk III bullet has much more efficient internal and exterior ballistics than the RCBS Hodgdon minie' as the below ballistics extrapolated from radar data shows. 

The 437 grain Wilkinson Improved Picket Bullet Mk III

Velocity 45 Grains FFFg GOEX, MCM Lube, RWS Musket Cap

0 yards = 1012 Feet Per Second, Drift @ 10 MPH = 0.0", Drop = 0.0"
25 yards = 989 Feet Per Second, Drift @ 10 MPH = 0.2", Drop = 1.1"
50 yards = 966 Feet Per Second, Drift @ 10 MPH = 0.6", Drop = 4.4"
100 yards = 921 Feet Per Second, Drift @ 10 MPH = 2.5", Drop = 18.0"

RCBS Hodgdon Minie' 408 grains

Velocity 45 Grains FFFg GOEX, MCM lube, RWCs Musket cap

0 yards = 990 Feet Per Second, Drift @ 10 MPH = 0.0", Drop = 0.0"
25 yards = 945 Feet Per Second, Drift @ 10 MPH = 0.3", Drop = 1.3"
50 yards = 905 Feet Per Second, Drift @ 10 MPH = 1.3", Drop = 4.7"
100 yards = 878 Feet Per Second, Drift @ 10 MPH = 5.0", Drop = 20.1"

Stuart you can see that in a 33" barrel M-1863 Euroarms Zouave that the Wilkinson bullet was faster than the Hodgdon Mminie despite the fact it was about 30 grain heavier.  Stuart also note that the effect of wind at 100 yards is halved and the trajectory is 2" flatter.  I consider this to be the most important thing about this bullet after its production advantages (2 bullets cast vs. one per throw) The Wilkinson's resistance to wind gust are enough to move your bullet at least one less scoring ring from a 10 MPH gust over the RCBS Hodgdon.  Stuart I think that this is important for you as you mention you scored well with the Hodgdon on calm days.  I hope the information helped you.

Best Wishes:

Greg Edington (C)

Posted: Feb 09, 2011 5:21:08 am
jessyj

On the Nova Rock Festival (11-13.06.10) I saw a "New Era" cap (59fifty) with the Prodigy-logo on it! Now I am searching for a week but without result! Where can I get this cap or why is this cap not in the official Prodigy-store :?:
Thx in advance